In May 2020, FIDE constituted the Athletes Commission, with a total of 15 members: 10 elected and 5 appointed by the FIDE Commission.
During the first term, the elected positions were directly assigned to the 9 candidates who put themselves forward, with the remaining spots being appointed by the FIDE Council. During this period, Dinara Saduakassova (Kazakhstan), Ju Wenjun (China), and Ahmed Adly (Egypt), were the first athletes to Chair this Commission for a period of half a year each, in a six-month rotation.
As it was stipulated back then, elections will be held during the Chess Olympiad in Chennai, this time for a full term of 4 years.
The elections will be held under the following rules:
TEMPORARY RULES FOR 2022 ELECTIONS
1. The 2022 Athletes Commission elections will be held from 9 am CEST July 29th, 2022, to 9 am CET August 3rd, 2022. The results should be announced no later than August 5th, 2022 (23:59 CET)
2. The Candidature Nomination Form must be completed, signed by the candidate and received by the FIDE Secretariat by July 20th, 2022 (23:59 CEST). The Candidature Nomination Form must be sent by e-mail to email@example.com.
3. Every candidate for election to the Athletes’ Commission must satisfy all of the following requirements:
a) be at least 18 years old;
b) Candidates must have competed in at least one of the last three FIDE World Championship Cycles, open or Women’s (namely: World Cup, Grand Prix Series, Candidates Tournament, Grand Swiss), or have qualified for the next FIDE World Championship Cycles, open or Women’s (namely: World Cup, Grand Prix Series, Candidates Tournament, Grand Swiss);
c) be able to speak and understand English reasonably well;
d) not to be under a FIDE EDC disqualification.
For the avoidance of doubt, endorsement by a Member Federation is not required.
4. The final list of the eligible candidates will be published at the fide.com not later than July 24th, 2022 (23:59 CEST)
5. A player is eligible to vote if:
- he or she is a holder of GM/WGM title;
- he or she competed in at least one of the last three FIDE World Championship Cycles, open or Women’s (namely: World Cup, Grand Prix Series, Candidates Tournament, Grand Swiss), or has qualified for the next FIDE World Championship Cycles, open or Women’s (namely: World Cup, Grand Prix Series, Candidates Tournament, Grand Swiss)
- he or she is the official player of the team taking part in the 44th Chess Olympiad in India, Chennai (further - Olympiad).
6. Voting shall be conducted in a hybrid format (for voters eligible according to step 3 of the art. 5 “Electoral Procedure”:
- A voter may receive the ballot in the Olympiad during the period mentioned in art. 1 and vote in person. In such case, the ballot should be signed by the voter.
- By e-mail in all other cases. Votes shall be sent to the e-mail of the electoral commission (to be announced later). E-mails shall be deemed as valid if previously used by voters for signing contracts and accepted by FIDE. E-mails not used before shall be deemed valid if confirmation from a national federation of a voter or of an official from such a federation is provided. FIDE reserves the right to request additional confirmation for any e-mails (regardless of whether they had been recognized previously) whenever they find it necessary.
From this link, you can download the Candidature Nomination Form.